There’s something special about timeless style. Reminiscent of a specific era, vintage style brings the past to the present and is celebrated for its unique and often eye-catching designs. As we dive beneath the surface of what makes vintage fashion so timeless, it’s easy to recognize why vintage is having a revival in 2020. Join us as we explore the vibrant history and iconic looks of vintage style, and how to make it part of your wardrobe.
1. Vintage Fashion - A Look Back in Time
Advancing Style Through the Ages: The Slow Rise of Vintage Fashion
It’s no secret that clothing has been around for centuries. From heavy wool coats and beaded corsets to flowing maxi dresses and skin-tight trousers, fashion has come a long way. What’s interesting is that some of the most trendy styles today are revivals of vintage trends that have been around for decades. Despite the rise of fast fashion and disposable clothing, vintage style has managed to endure the test of time—sometimes, the best style is something tried and true.
Beloved vintage styles are making a resurgence:
- Tailored trousers
- Structured blazers
- Wide-brim hats
- Vintage-style jewelry
These timeless pieces are still sought-after by some of the most iconic celebritites and fashion icons on the planet. With daring and stylish silhouettes, these clothing pieces give a modern spin to something that has been timeless for years. Beyond the red carpet, vintage fashion can be seen on city streets, in trendy boutiques, and on social media.
Vintage styles are as much a rage as ever, with an enduring appeal that spans across different generations. From smart through the early 1900s to the gothic and punk of the 1980s, vintage fashion allows us to express our sense of style in wearable works of art. Craftsmanship, quality, and attention to detail have all contributed to the increasing desire for vintage.
2. Exploring the Allure of Timeless Style
Vintage style has been a beloved staple of fashion for decades and shows no sign of dying anytime soon. From classic denim jackets to vibrant floral patterned dresses, this trend effortlessly captures timeless beauty. Here, we explore the unique allure of vintage revival and how to keep the trend alive.
- Fashion Faithfuls: Vintage-style clothing appeals to people of all ages and generations, with garments that will always look stylish no matter the season. Whether you’re a true fashionista or a mature dresser, classic prints and designs such as gingham, polka-dots and stripes speak a universal language.
- Updating Retro: It’s easy to update vintage pieces with a modern tweak. Mix-and-match ensembles or incorporate subtle statement accessories like belts, clutches and sunhats to give an outfit a more contemporary feel.
- Quality with Endurance: Vintage garments are often made from the highest quality materials, making them last longer and ensuring the longevity of the trend. Many vintage pieces, in fact, become more valuable with age as the fabrics become more luxurious over time, reinforced by premium stitching and unbeatable tailoring.
- Unique Diversity: Rather than wasting money on disposable fashion, you can invest in quality vintage pieces that are completely original. Owning something totally unique are part of the timeless charm of vintage-style clothing. It’s like a personal time capsule waiting to be remembered for years to come.
Fashion-lovers of any age can appreciate the timeless sophistication of vintage-style clothing. Whether it’s revamping an old favourite for more modern times or treasuring a vintage piece, classic clothing remains a timeless and versatile staple worth having in your wardrobe.
3. Identifying the Iconic Pieces of Vintage Fashion
In the world of fashion, some pieces are immortal. Annually, vintage designs come back to life through collections from brands and experimental styles from fashion luminaries. is important for anyone looking to dress with timeless style.
- Mid-length Skirts – An iconic style of the past, mid-length skirts can be seen in nearly every decade, from the roaring ’20s to the free-spirited ’60s. Effortless to style and versatile, mid-length skirts are perfect for embodying a timeless look.
- Trench Coats – An ever-popular wardrobe staple, trench coats are considered both practical and stylish. This classic piece of clothing is the perfect investment and wardrobe must-have.
- Tweed Suits – Made of wool fabric, briads, and mohair, tweed suits are a classic vintage style. Worn by both men and women, tweed suits are a traditional go-to for timeless fashion.
- Velvet Dresses - When it comes to vintage fashion, velvet dresses are a timeless piece. Rich in color and texture, a velvet dress adds any look a classic touch.
- Pearl Jewellery – Be it a necklace, earrings, or bracelet, pearl jewelry never goes out of style. It’s a staple in the Vintage Revival and adds timeless glamour.
The revival of vintage fashion is about more than just iconic pieces. It is about embracing culture, recognizing history, and dressing with intention. These iconic pieces of vintage fashion provide modern fashionistas the opportunity to do just that—shine like stars integral to the Vintage Revival.
4. Incorporating Vintage Style Into Your Wardrobe
Reviving vintage style can be a fun way to repurpose pieces of clothing from the past. Whether it is a visit to a vintage boutique, the local thrift store, or simply revisiting some garments in your closet, there is something special about donning some timeless pieces. To help make vintage style part of your wardrobe, consider the following:
- Go for Timeless Pieces: Look for classic pieces that won’t be outdated anytime soon. Think classic jeans, pleated trousers, pinstriped blazers, crisp button-down shirts, loafers, etc.
- Start with the Basics: When first beginning to incorporate vintage fashion into your wardrobe begin with the basics. Not too flashy, but recognizable and accepted.
- Mix and Match: Incorporate a few vintage pieces with your current style to create a unique look. Think of accessorizing with a belt, leather briefcase, gloves, or hat.
- Understated Flair: Choose from vintage accessories to add a touch of flair to a casual look. From suspenders, vintage watches, rings, and scarves, adding these accessories can give you a timeless look.
- Invest in Quality Pieces: Quality garments can outlast a season and last for many years. Invest in a few calculated pieces can help you over the long run.
Taking a journey back in time and revisiting vintage fashion can help you stand out from the crowd. Look for comfortable pieces that you can mix and match with your current wardrobe, and don’t forget the accessories! Try different combinations of vintage pieces to create memorable looks with timeless style.
5. Tips for Shopping for Vintage Apparel
1. Know the Era: So you want to take a trip down memory lane with some vintage clothing? Knowing the era and the changing looks and trends of the era could help you shop and make the best quality clothing choice. Research the decade you are looking for and become familiar with popular brands, designs, and materials during that time so you can pick the right vintage apparel.
2. Quality Does Matter: It is important to keep fabric quality in mind while you look for vintage fashion. Their construction and material composition outline the longevity of clothing. Look for fabrics like pure linen, wool, or cotton, and make sure you thoroughly check the stitching and zippers.
3. Look Beyond the Tags: Analyze the color composition of the dress and if there are any stains or discoloration. This is particularly important for older clothing pieces. Check the clothing for any signs of wear and tear him, fraying and tears.
4. Get It Cleaned: Taking it for a cleaning can not just be beneficial for its appearance, but it can also help in eliminating any toxins and bacteria that may be inhabiting it.
5. Try It On: It may seem like a hassle to go and try on vintage clothing in a physical store, but it is an important step you need to take while you shop. You should always try on different sizes and patterns to get the exact fit.
6. Taking Care of Your Vintage Pieces
Vintage fashion is timeless and nostalgic. Whether you have a collection of vintage clothes or just a few pieces, there are a few tips you should follow to ensure that your fashion treasures stay in excellent condition for years to come.
- Wash carefully. Many pieces from the past are now highly delicate. If the care label states it can be machine-washed, use the delicate cycle and best quality detergent. If in doubt, handwashing is the safest option. Dry-cleaning is also recommended for delicate items.
- Store correctly. Fabric can be damaged by sunlight and air, so keep pieces in a cool, dark place away from dust and chemicals. A breathable cotton or muslin bag is best. Acid-free cardboard is good for shoes and accessories.
- Avoid contact with metal. Vintage pieces can contain beads, sequins, or embroidery. Metal zippers, hooks, and clasps can corrode and stain fabric if they come into contact with each other. Some beads and sequins may also be tarnished.
- Professionally clean. Wear and tear may occur over time. Slight smudges and scuff marks can be cleaned with a soft brush and leather cleaner. For deeper cleaning, take your pieces to a professional cleaner who specializes in vintage items.
Though some pieces of vintage fashion are delicate, taking care of them is the best way to preserve their timeless beauty. From the classic 50s-style dress to the funky 80s blouse, original vintage items are a great way to add a unique flair to your wardrobe.
7. Future of the Vintage Revival
The vintage revival has brought a renewed interest in styles and trends of the past. From streetwear to high fashion, the bodies of modern and traditional classics collide to create a unique form of expression that transcends time and place. Here’s what to expect from the future of vintage revival:
- Vintage staples like old denim, plaid, and leather are more relevant than ever. Once the standards of past generations, these items form the foundation of any vintage wardrobe. Look for durable materials, unique colorways, and refreshed fits that embrace and accentuate modern silhouettes.
- Expect to see more heritage brands and smaller labels entering the mainstream. Upstart brands and established mainstays alike are leveraging the tremendous power of the vintage revival trend to create collections that appeal to new and existing customers alike.
- Unique prints and graphics are gaining popularity. Pairing vintage styles with colorful prints and unique graphics is an effective way to break through the noise of the market and stand out from the crowd. Look for new and bold tie-dye and abstract pattern combinations that bring the past into the present.
- Vintage style will continue to dominate fashion. Pieces like old-school Adidas sneakers, ripped jeans, and dad hats continue to make waves in the industry, and new iterations of existing classics can be expected in the future. The vintage revival will remain entrenched in fashion culture for years to come.
The vintage revival trend has withstood the test of time, so much so that it now sits as an enduring presence in the fashion world. With its combination of timeless style and modern influences, vintage revival is likely to remain a major player in the fashion industry for years to come.
Vintage revival is the ultimate way to make a statement, with a timeless style that’s here to stay. Just like the roaring trends of the past, vintage fashion could find itself in the fashion spotlight again sooner than we think. Every person has the unique opportunity to create a unique look that stands out—all you need is a little flair and a vintage touch.