Ahoy beach babes! If you’ve ever dreamed of creating that effortlessly stylish ‘surfer girl’ look – all windswept seductive beachy waves and a lightly salted sheen – then your dreams are about to become reality! This article is your guide to achieving beachy waves that will make your friends green with envy – no surfboard needed! So, grab your salt spray, and let’s get styling!
1. Understand What Beachy Waves are
Beachy waves are the effortless, dreamy look that takes you straight to the beach, with tousled locks that graze the shoulders. Whether you’re heading out for a night on the town, or a laid-back weekend brunch, beachy waves are the perfect hairstyle to capture the salty surfer look.
- The Natural Look: This timeless hairstyle naturally looks like you’ve just stepped out of the ocean – windswept and completely effortless.
- Long & Tousled: Beachy waves grant the perfect bed-head look, with long tousled locks that will frame your face.
- Suitable for Any Hair Type: Whether you have short, curly, or thick hair, this style is perfect for all hair types.
Getting the beachy waves look is easier than you think. Start by washing your hair and towel-drying it until it’s just damp. To achieve the best results, you’ll need medium length hair. If you have shorter lengths, you can still achieve this look by curling the ends first.
Once your hair is prepped you’ll need to spritz it with a leave-in conditioner. This will help to protect the hair from any heat damage and add more body. To finish the look, use a tong to curl your hair. You can use the tong to create small waves or larger curls – it totally depends on the look you’re going for.
2. Preparing Your Hair for Beachy Waves
Getting that effortlessly wavy beach hair look starts in the shower. Prep your hair accordingly for maximum frizz-free beachy waves.
1. Choose a Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner
- Go for a shampoo and conditioner that is designed specifically for adding moisture.
- This will hydrate your hair and help prevent breakage.
2. Go Easy on the Heat
- Towel-dry your hair and avoid using hot tools like a hair dryer and straightener.
- This will keep the hair moisturized and give you a better chance of creating waves.
3. Take Time and Detangle Mane
- Use a wide-tooth comb to remove tangles and knots.
- This will help you get those voluminous waves.
4. Work in Some Hair Oil
- Rub a dime-sized amount of hair oil through your mane.
- This will smooth the strands, add shine, and protect against humidity.
3. Tips for Creating Beachy Waves
1. Prep Your Hair With Sea Salt Spray: To achieve beachy waves, use a sea salt spray and spritz onto damp or freshly washed hair. Sea salt spray will help to smooth your individual strands and add definition to the shape of your waves. Be sure to pay attention to the weight of the spray when buying it to make sure you don’t get too much.
2. Diffuse Your Hair: Using a hairdryer with an adjustable diffuser will help lock in the shape of your waves while preventing frizz and additional damage to your hair. Just be sure to move your diffuser up and down your hair shafts.
3. Finish With An Oils: Adding a few drops of oils such as argan, coconut or jojoba to your hair will help seal in the moisture while providing shine and definition. Leave a few of the oils on your scalp to help keep the scalp hydrated.
4. Tweak Your Waves: Even if you followed all the tips, you may still have to tweak your waves to get the perfect beachy look. To break up your waves and to add texture pull gently on individual sections of your hair. As well as wrapping some sections of your hair around a curling iron to give your waves more definition.
5. Use Styling Products: When styling your beachy waves always use a lightweight non-greasy product to get that naturally messy beach look. Products such as foams, mousses, pomades, hairspray and waxes all work great for beachy waves.
6. Refresh Your Waves: If you want to refresh your waves throughout the day, spritz a bit of sea salt spray onto your waves and tousle your hair with your fingers. This will define your waves and help you to maintain the beachy look.
4. Products to Help You Achieve the Look
Light Hold – For a beachy style with a light hold, choose a light salt spray like the L’Oreal Paris Beach Wave Spray. This product is designed to give beachy texture, without leaving hair feeling heavy and greasy.
Strong Hold – If you’re after a longer-lasting style with a stronger texture, opt for a spray mousse like the Unite Expanda Dust. This product is ideal for creating and setting waves. Its blend of proteins and natural dust gives hair a flavorful hold and lots of texture.
Curl Enhancers – To give your waves a boost, try a texturizing cream like the John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Waves. This product is specifically designed to enhance waves and curls while helping to protect hair from heat damage. It also adds shine and moisture.
Hydrator – To keep your salted waves looking their best, grab a hydrating oil texture spray like the Aquage Sea Salt Texturizing Spray. This product is formulated with natural sea salts to add giant, crunchy waves that won’t dry out your hair. It also helps to give hair moisture and shine.
5. Finishing Touches to Perfect the Beachy Wave Look
- Protect Your Hair from the Elements: Make sure to apply a leave-in conditioner or serum for an extra layer of protection from the sun, salt and sand.
- Tuck It Away: Use a headscarf, baseball hat or scarf to keep the hair in place.
- Add More Texture: Sprinkle a little sea salt spray onto your hair for more texture and extra waves.
- Ensure Long-Lasting Waves: For those who are blessed with sculpable hair, spritz on some hairspray to keep the waves from wilting away too quickly.
- Let It Shine: Use a light polishing serum for an extra boost of shine to make your beachy waves even more radiant. When you’ve got the beachy waves look, you can be sure to turn heads. So go ahead and make a splash with this breezy, yet trendsetting style. Whether you’re a beach bum or an urbanite, that salty surfer hair look works for everyone.